Applying for a UK
student short-term study visa


If you are not a European Union Citizen then you will require a Short-term Study Visa issued by the United Kingdom Government which will give you a Bio-metric Identity Card proving your right to study and live in the UK over the permitted period. This is either Six Months for a normal academic qualification or Eleven Months for a course which leads solely to a Language Qualification.

In both cases you are not permitted to work and earn any money in the UK during the period of the Visa. So you cannot plan to look for a part time job to supplement your living expenses. In any case, our Accelerated Courses are so intensive that you would not have time for anything other than study!

These courses are for students who are 100% committed to obtaining excellent results in their CIE A Levels ready to apply to the best UK Universities for Under Graduate entry.

It is essential to understand that UKVI who provide Visa services for the UK Government have specific requirements which must be met accurately.

Here is the Official Guidance from UKVI.

We are Accredited by the ACCREDITATION SERVICE for INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS, COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES (ASIC) and you will find us in their UK Directory.

You should remember that it is essential to provide the UK Authorities with exactly what you are asked for, hence here is our checklist based our own experience. It is essential that you understand that you can expect no "reasonableness" nor "understanding" from the UK Immigration Authorities. If you provide exactly what they ask for, and what they imply they require, in a well organised and easy to follow manner and you qualify then you should be successful. The main area of difficulty is providing the information that they do require but about which they are so explicit. That is why our guidance that follows is so important.

This Visa Application is actually good preparation for the adult world and the world of business, where attention to detail and applied intelligence will prove valuable assets.

A. Identity Documents

When you apply you must provide:

[ . ] a current passport or other valid travel identification

[ . ] evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months

NB: you need to show sufficient savings on your own bank account and/or on your parent's bank account - a minimum of £1015 / month available for living costs plus the NHS surcharge - Cambridge is quite expensive - so we have estimated £900 / month for accommodation to which you need to add funds for your other out-of-pocket expenses

[ . ] details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

NB: details of the flights you plan to take to travel to UK and where you intend to stay

[ . ] your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test and you’re coming to the UK for more than 6 months

NB: the official guidance is here

[ . ] contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country

B. NHS Health Care (non EU) Surcharge

You must pay the healthcare (non EU) surcharge by debit or credit card - on a student visa application this is £150 a year.

[ . ] If you’re making an immigration application online you pay the healthcare surcharge as part of the application process. You must complete the payment and return to the online immigration application in less than 30 minutes.

[ . ] If you’re making an immigration application at a premium service centre, you pay the surcharge when you book an appointment.

[ . ] If you’re making an immigration application by post you must pay the healthcare surcharge before you complete your application.

C. Academic

Documents about your course

[ . ] You must provide proof of the course you’re studying, for example a letter of acceptance from the educational institution - on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).

You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your:

[ . ] previous study, for example academic certificates, references or transcripts

NB: everything you have to show your existing scholarly experience and standard

[ . ] English language qualifications, for example certificates or awards

NB: your existing level

[ . ] accommodation and travel plans

[ . ] permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)

[ . ] financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies

NB: full details of your parent's business, income and savings that will support you

D. Generally

[ . ] You need to take the original documents to your Visa Interview.

[ . ] You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.

E. Translations

[ . ] You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Here are the rules on Certifying a translation.

If you need to certify a translation of a document that’s not written in English or Welsh, ask the translation company to confirm in writing on the translation:

[ . ] that it’s a ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’

[ . ] the date of the translation

[ . ] the full name and contact details of the translator or a representative of the translation company

Status: Current

Review: July 2020